120,000 words in English, Wish we had one for...
View from the house… lots of cloudy afternoons lately.
Say what?
The other day (struggling with a sinus infection – compounded by the smoky environment of the Pal households) I stumbled on a Pal idiom that I wish we had in English. “Mesulu epa uyuh nima.” Which translated literally means the big snot is eating my head. I can’t help but chuckle every time I hear it. Go ahead guys say it with me…. “Its ALIIIVEEEEE….”
So… if your shoes have tread left and they start to separate… you could take it as an opportunity to make a fashion statement… I think I’ll patent this idea..
Soul Separation
With so much of our effort given to learning how to communicate with our friends it would be a grave omission for us to ignore the question of how to best share with them the character and person of Christ starting now. Even on a good day, I may say 75% of my sentences with errors in them and our Pal friends patiently and carefully correct me. What they cannot correct is what I communicate regarding that which they know little to nothing about. How can we be sure to get the right message out there? Frankly, that is one aspect of the work here that we are trusting the Lord each day for. We have done some real cringe-worthy things in our ignorance*. (Come on – surely you too wince at the recollection of some of your own missteps …) The thing that keeps us going in spite of ourselves is that His promise to build His church isn’t dependent on our perfection. (Good thing too!)
Please Pray –
· That we’d evidence the real genuine love of Christ for each other and for the Pal people.
· That we’d be able to process the language at full speed well… (is he saying the name of a yam or telling me the size of my child?)
· That a consultant from our mission would be able to come for a visit – to assess our progress and to give us some pointers as to move ahead well.
Thanks a bunch for praying,
Nate for the fam.
* So, when you watch the old language video that you made, and the person repeatedly answers the same question but you are so clueless that you think they didn’t understand it the first time… I guess its good for ego shrinkage.
Posted via email from PNG Time



Comments